Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Messing up is so easy to do...

There are certain words that are very similar in Spanish, but with very different meanings:

"Cabello" -hair
"Caballo" -horse
"Caballero" -gentleman

Examples:

I wrote the "cabello" (hair) on the board in my class while we were learning animal vocab. I was quickly corrected-with much laughter.

My friend shouting, "Caballero, I meant caballero!" after she accidentally told our Spanish speaking friend that his suspenders made him look like a caballo (horse).



And there here is "hambre" (hungry) vs. "hombre"(man).

So, in Spanish the way to say "I am hungry," is "tengo hambre," which is basically "I have hunger".

While walking with a group of English and Spanish speakers my friend said, "Ugh...TENGO HOMBRE!" (I have a man).



The words "cansado(a)" (tired) and "casado(a)" (married) are likewise a cause for confusion.

One volunteer was walking along with a group of people and a girl asked him if he was married. He didn't hear her correctly and responded, "oh, no I'm ok, I can walk for a long time."

No comments:

Post a Comment