Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Learning English is hard to do. It's also hard to learn Spanish. I teach English to Spanish speaking students in Central America. I also am an English speaker learning Spanish. This means that I hear and make a lot of language mistakes everyday.

While sometimes the mistakes are very embarrassing in the moment, they are always funny afterwards.

There's an interesting word: embarrassing. To me it involves shame (although shame seems a bit strong for many of the instances in which it is used), but when I teach this word to my students they start laughing and think that I am kidding. The word "embarazada" means "pregnant" in Spanish. Yeah.

I have found too that the harder a student tries the more they learn (of course), but also, the more they make interesting mistakes. One of my students who sometimes tries to speak beyond his ability has made several fun mistakes:

"I lik womans." (This was only about my second week teaching and I nearly fell to ground laughing because this kid does "like" women, but he's a very respectful kid.)

"I give food at the cat." (Somehow, an image of a giant cat comes to mind where this student stands and hands out food to long lines of people).

In another class a student was learning verbs that begin with "have" or "has", but hadn't quite mastered the concept yet. He wrote:

"I am already eaten." (My co-teacher and I could barely control our laughter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment